Roundtable: Upskilling the Testers

Many organizations claim to have “world-class test teams” and that everyone is at their peak performance. This is a good theory, and motivating for teams at times. Based on Pareto’s Law of 80/20, it is likely that this is not the case. It’s more likely that 80% of the critical work is being done by 20% of the highly productive workforce.

With the evolving models and methods of producing software – We find many potential impacts to the role of testers. We are seeing an evolution of DevOps into new areas. We see organizations combining development and testing. Industries are now searching for candidates to fill Software Development Engineers in Test (SDETs) and less of the “traditional tester”.

While this may be good for the 20% rockstar testers, we are faced with understanding how to deal with the other 80% – testers that don’t code, and have never worked outside of the testing realm. The question is this….how can we “UPSKILL” the 80% so that they not only become rockstar testers, but also support them in building a confident career path for themselves in testing?

In this roundtable, Smita Mishra will discuss this growing trend with both testers and test managers. We will share experiences in other organizations, and discuss quick hits and long-term strategies to ensure your test team takes action today to build strong career paths.

Session Takeaways:

  • Group discussion on challenges in testing, test leadership, and career paths today.
  • Suggestions on how to upskill the team to remain competitive and supportive to your organization.
  • Discussion on diversity in the testing community and how to increase the engagement.
  • How to get our women testers to build peer reputation in the industry? How to get more of them to engage (more)?

Leadership
Location: Majestic 5 Date: September 22, 2016 Time: 10:15 am - 11:15 am Smita Mishra Smita Mishra